All politics is local, so the Portland Democrats are getting super-local with our new Block Captain Program! To kick it off, weâ€™re hosting a training next Wednesday. Can you make it?
Anyone can become a block captain â€” all that’s required is that you’re a Democrat living in Portland who wants to make your community a better place.
Block captains will be the point person for the Portland Democrats in their neighborhood: talking to neighbors, telling them about upcoming elections or events, and making sure their concerns are heard. This is one of our most important programs, both for the election in November and for years to come.
This is a great way to get active, and weâ€™ll also have free pizza for all who attend!
Progressive politics, community, and pizza â€” what could be better?
- When: Wednesday, September 26, 6pm – 8pm
- Where: Portland City Hall, room 24 (basement level)
- Who: All Democrats from Portland are welcome
- Why: To help elect Democrats in 2018 (and beyond!)
If you plan to attend, please RSVP on Facebook or send me an email to help us get an estimated headcount. And if you have any questions, please donâ€™t hesitate to ask.
At this training, activists will be turned into block captains. We will help you:
- Choose your turf. Size is totally up to you, no community is too big or too small. Choose your building, street, city block, neighborhood, or ward!
- Learn how to canvass effectively. Canvassing sounds intimidating, but it just means talking to your neighbors. We’ll be going over the basics of an introduction, and providing talking points and questions.
- Get set up on tech. We have an easy-to-use phone app that will help you stay organized and report your progress â€” weâ€™ll help you log on and walk you through it. Or if you prefer a clipboard and paper, that works too!
Hope to see you there!
Chairman, Portland Democratic City Committee
I will attend just for the free pizza hehehe
It might have been worth it, but a long trip from Oregon to Maine!